Having the right people working in your business makes all the difference.
This initiative is designed to help you navigate this process, link you to programs and resources, and provide you with some guidance on questions to ask along the way.
To start the process, ask yourself a few simple questions:
- What triggered the need to hire? (growth, diversification, someone left)
- What specific qualifications, skills and knowledge are required to fulfil the role?
- Is an apprentice or trainee an option?
- Are specific attributes, or industry experience important, if so why?
- What is it about my business that will attract the right staff?
Hiring to make a difference
You can gain a competitive advantage by inviting the perspectives of diverse employee groups to your business. There is a strong business case for change in embracing and leveraging diversity in your workforce through the collaboration of cultures, ideas and lived experience. Historically, some groups have faced more challenges than others when it comes to finding work, these include but are not limited to:
- People with a disability, previous injury or health condition
- People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Mature aged workers
- Long term unemployed.
Diversity adds value to your business, adding a range of different experiences, new ideas, perspectives and is usually looked on favourably by purchasing organisations in the procurement process. Click on the ‘Make a difference with a diverse workforce’ link below for more information.
The Cessnock City Jobs Portal has been jointly funded by the Australian Government through the Building Better Regions Fund – Community Projects Stream, and Cessnock City Council.